|

Monday, October 25, 2004

Bizarre day, as was expected.

Bizarre #1
My boss requests that I alter my obit in the announcements to include a request for students to stop by and thank me for my years of service and to wish me well in the future, which I do and then they do in turn. Nice sentiments from people who genuinely care about me and want good things for me.

Bizarre #2
Deby’s brother breaks down with a bad starter in his van over off Clayton near McKnight. I go and rescue him with jumper cables and a hammer to tap the starter contact into place. He gives me ten bucks for gas.

Bizarre #3
A yogic healer makes me a financial offer on ghost writing a book for him on his technique and biography so that there will be a legacy from his life’s work. This is a very real offer. I have enough contacts in the New Age book world where I could also function as a literary agent. I have three days to respond. I am not really in a position to not take the offer. As long as my terms are acceptable, especially the part about the advance retainer, I will have full time writing gig come Monday.

Jen, “You are the luckiest fucker I know. You put it out to the universe that you wanted a professional writing gig and not four days later you’ve got one.”

Query: what is it about the land of the new age that doesn’t want to let me go?

Derek, “Just when you think you’re out, they pull you back in.”

Bizarre #4
I can’t talk about for legal reasons – be vague – even though I have been dispossessed of gainful employment I am still asked to do things of utmost importance on which the survival of the business depends… and after a long walk around the block chewing on a dried pine needle I agree to do them. I really don’t know how they are going to survive without errand boy extraordinaire. I just keep telling Deby, “Good luck.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home