|

Friday, July 23, 2004

The Night Belongs to Maplewood:

That’s the official slogan that I am now doing community service under.

Yup, I am now an official member of the Maplewood Chamber of Commerce. Back when I was Services Manager of the Kirksville Days Inn I waited on people like me during Chamber and Rotary lunches. I now have joined BJ among the ranks of Chamber members. BJ are we still entering the Springfield Chamber’s BBQ contest? This overlap is made all the more odd by the fact that BJ’s mother was a member of the Kirksville Chamber and I used to serve her lunch. In Maplewood no one serves you, you serve yourself from the table of sandwiches and sides – though our next meeting is brown bag.

Not a very glamorous affair, but friendly and funny and community minded, so that seems all good. My name spelled wrong on a large card in front of me at the horseshoe three table in the old-large-one-room-building with yellowing drop ceiling, make the new guy speak first about his business and its role in the community, we’re so glad you came and your efforts to support the auction are much appreciated. I have volunteered to help solicit donations for the annual silent auction (with open bar all night long October 2nd people!) to help keep the foundation alive and involved, partnering with the city for a better tomorrow.

Best exchange from the meeting: Deb, “I can make a basket out of anything. If you stand in front of me too long I’ll wrap you up in cellophane and stick a bow on your head.” Dave, “Kinky.”

My working life has been increasingly odd as I embrace it with some kind of renewed vigor. I’ve gone through an existential crises of late which has ended with me choosing the life that I have – imagine that. It’s a convenient sort of choice to make, as everything pretty much stays where it is – except you – you move into better psychic space. Actually deciding, “You know what, this is good. This is better than some of my other options. I am staying here.” I’m like one of those couples standing on the beach in Maui saying, “After all this time together I’m still interested and passionate about us and this journey that we’re on together. I’m here to renew our vows and go forward recommitted to this life together.” Accept that as a Gemini, I am both parties in this beach wedding scenario, locked in a narcissistic self deluded series of endless rationalizations in which I pretend to have freewill and the universe amusedly watches.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home