|

Monday, August 30, 2004

Having given fair warning, the Gods decree that I shalt exercise; like it or not:

I went home for lunch – a standard thing – put the dog out – made a fried egg sandwich – put on a load of laundry – did a little more cleaning here and there – headed back to work. Not five minutes from the house the check gauges light comes on. The engine heat is over 265. I pull over and kill the engine on Forsyth, just shy of Washington University. The coolant tank is dry. I let the car cool and call into work telling them I will get the car home and make other arrangements to come back in. I get the car home in one piece and search the basement for coolant. I find no coolant, but I do find bike chain lubricant and a hacksaw.

Right after Brad moved in, just shy of two years ago, he chained a bike up to the back porch that I believe he had ridden around Forest Park Once. He eventually lost the key, and there that bike has sat until today. I cut the lock off with the hacksaw, greased up the chain, put on my new Jensen bike radio arm strap set to NPR, pulled my tire pressure gauge from the car, and walked the bike up to the gas station to put air in its tires. I guessed at 30 PSI but think I could let a little air out given the current shape of my spinal column.

I chose the worst possible route with the maximum number of hills. People on bikes in spandex with camel packs sailed past me as though I were an exercise dinosaur sinking into the LaBreya tar pits. On some hills I just got off the bike and walked. I had to learn how to shift on this new bike and popped the chain off once in the process. I am sweaty and my lower back hurts because the seat is way too low for me and I didn’t think to bring any simple tools with me. Honestly I feel great – it took a little more than a half hour and weather permitting I am going to ride my bike to work everyday this week. I haven’t “felt the burn” like in an all over body way like this in years.

The weather seemed tailor made for my adventure. After work I will leave my bike here and walk to the Saratoga for bowling league. The car can slumber until I get paid. I imagine there is a leak in a hose somewhere. I am due for an oil change, I have a back tire that needs a new valve core, and I have to get an inspection for my news tags anyway so this temporary grounding is timely. Paul will be staying with us this month for an internship, he arrives tomorrow, so the extra rent will take the pressure off whatever hit I take on the car. We generally have what we need, even if a little improvisation is required. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home