|

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Sorry Beth,

I didn’t watch the debates…

I listened to them on NPR and then caught the tail end when I got home from work. I had no takers on the rally and honestly I was exhausted by the time I got home. Maureen called for Mary Beth’s reaction after the debates were over.

Maureen, “Who do you think won?”

Karl, “Clearly Kerry did.”

Maureen, “I thought so too.”

Karl, “Mary Beth is crashed out on the couch.”

Maureen, “Belly up or belly down?”

Karl, “Belly down.”

Maureen, “Well, then she’s down for the count. Just tell her I called.”

Makes you think about the way in which people know your nonverbals.

So, I was listening to the debate at work and in and out with my attention, as work needs superceded. Bush clearly had a better showing then last time, but in general when given pointed questions he changed the subject or referred back to an earlier point rather than answer. I don’t think he answered more than one or two questions directly in the second half of the debate. He would tell people what they were really asking and then answer his own modified question. The post show on channel nine, PBS, had them fairly even in that Bush looked better and Kerry was occasionally, “Too long winded.” In other words he answered questions with two many points, seemed too knowledgeable and talked over people’s heads. I hate it when a president is too well informed. He also, “could have nailed Bush to the wall on the environment.” But missed that opportunity again by being too on message. My favorite Bush-ism from the night was in response to a question about the draft:

Bush, “I know there are rumors on the internets about a draft.”

Karl’s thought bubble, “Internets? There are more of them? Maybe I’m on the wrong one!” That reminds me of his father’s gaff about checkout scanners in grocery markets – he saw his first one on the campaign trail and mentioned it in a speech making it obvious that he hadn’t done any of his own shopping in at least ten years – ah the education and environment president – did a fine job didn’t he living up to those campaign promises.

And of course there were Bush’s repeated references to Poland. I’m Polish/German/Irish/French Canadian – but my last name is obviously Polish. I’m happy to be proud of noble Poland, but Bush’s repetition of phrases like, “what about Poland” and “you’re forgetting about Poland” actually make their sacrifices seem a little ridiculous. He repeatedly made Kerry’s points for him in that way. He had me imagining a small contingent of Polish warriors ridding into the Middle East on Lipizzaner stallions like Richard the Lion Heart heading for a machine gun nest. Sort of a “Charge of The Light Brigade” headed by Tony Blair. Ah well, the coalition of the bribed & coerced.

Kerry nailed him on both points. “We already have a backdoor draft.” And Kerry noted that if Missouri’s troops were considered by themselves, then they’d be the third largest contributor of troops in the “coalition. It was a slam-dunk on both points.

Kerry is rapidly emerging as the caliber candidate we had hoped for on the left, but even still...

At golf today – the caddy ringing us out, “What I hate is that after all this mudslinging and divisiveness they expect us to go back to being one people right after the debate. We’re all set up to hate each other and then we’re supposed to unite, like we’re Americans first and Democrats or Republicans second. I just can’t leave that at the door. I mean think about how Bush and McCain went at it in the last election and then all of the sudden they are supposed to be best friends, bullshit. I’m voting for Kerry, probably most of the city is, but I don’t think he can win. Bush has done such a good job of painting him as a waffler that I don’t see how he can pull it out.”

Well, for all of our sakes let’s hope he can. Best bumper sticker of the season, “If you’re not outraged then you’re not paying attention.”

Oh, and then new Jib Jab is out in a timely fashion.

Check out It’s Good To Be in D.C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home