|

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Not sure just what to say, but I must have a blog in me someplace. It stands to reason that I would. I have been torching the candle simultaneously at all candle points of late, so sorry for the brevity of my postings. School is in high, high gear and I am afraid I must once again take myself off the map for the weekend as I am starting to slip behind in my education class, which could be re-titled minutia 101. I have to write these mind numbing papers in which I must bold all the requirements so that the instructor can check off my two points for this sentence and my one point for that sentence. I’m not learning how to teach HS, I’m in HS.

I hope to write a long blog about student teaching at Roosevelt this week, with anecdotes ranging from the Haitian mob to what most fifteen years olds wear to their baby’s funerals. It was a real education, especially noting the everydayness of violence. Several students were removed by the police while I was there and few more should have been. Each day began with my students discussing who had been killed or shot the night before, who was on the news, how they knew them, and what the likely jail terms would be for the perpetrators. Every time I start to talk about it I stop myself because I would rather present a more cohesive narrative.

Royce and Devon were in from the Ville for a few days and we got together last night after my classes were over at Fredrick’s Music Lounge to hear The Spaghetti Western String Compnay. I’ll post a link and you can listen to some tracks. I bought their EP after the show and have the LP on order from their web page. Royce and Devon had bad luck, getting into a traffic accident that crippled their three day old car. No one was hurt and the dealership in the ville is towing it back for free. Insurance will cover the repairs so no blood no foul. Devon’s folks are taking them home today. We made some connections for Devon’s Band Happy Ass (check the link) and may be able to get them some St. Louis gigs at The Glass Factory and Off Broadway. I think both will really be no problem at all.

Ah well, back to work – just wanted to get a little free writing out to warm up my skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home