|

Sunday, January 29, 2006

I’m in that place again where I am doing lots of writing for school. The upshot is that I don’t have much time or energy for my blog. I actually have to post to a group chat room thing and so I am getting my blogging habit in by journaling for credit. Jes has started telling me that she misses me because our schedules are opposite and even when we are together I am often thinking about work or actually working.

I am feeling a little frustrated right now. I teach on the edge of the hood with all the gang violence, crime, and social upheaval that you can imagine. I can’t really write about it here because of issues of confidentiality. Suffice it to say that I am getting an education while I struggle to give one. My kids not only get shot at, they get shot. It’s a lot to take in while you’re trying to teach hyperbole and metaphor.

I am in the trenches a bit and at the same time I come home to my paradoxical comforts and am comfortable in body, if not in spirit. I joined a gym. One of my best students was arrested. I moved in a new buffet/bar for the front room. A student at my summer school was shot in the face and killed when he tried to rob a cab driver. I rented Transporter Two – it’s not a very good film. You get the idea…

I’m writing about it. It’s just not for public consumption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home