|

Thursday, May 25, 2006

What kind of a summer are we going to have? It’s supposed to hit ninety degrees today and it just feels a little early for that. My brother Andy has been looking at the Midwest to relocate closer to family, but he remembers St. Louis summers and doesn’t think his wife could handle them.

They are in California now. I think it would be great if they moved closer. He has twin boys, Nick and Jake, who are going to be five in September and a younger son, my godson Michael, who will be two this fall. I’m thinking Minnesota is where they are going to end up. I like the twin cities, but it’s too cold up there for Jes. It looks like they are all going to be able to come for the wedding so we are looking at what hotels downtown are most affordable and have suites with kitchens that could accommodate the brood. Your suggestions are most welcome.

There’s a question hanging over me of late – what have I been doing? Mostly I’ve been sleeping – sleeping late and then taking several naps per day. I’ve been watching lots of TV and just generally drifting. I feel liked I burned the candle at both ends from May of last year right through until school ended in April.

I’ve been tinkering with my fish tanks. I’ve been reading short stories – nothing all that great so far. I’ve been doing a little cooking, spending time with my family and Jes’ family. I’ve been relaxing and recharging. I’ve been trying to get caught up on cleaning, but that seems endless. Jes and I both own too much clothing, even though we always look the same, and our laundry lives seem endless. Slightly dull domesticity is at times a welcome retreat, though not all that conducive to writing.

I start teaching again full time June twelfth, so there is an end to all this drift in sight. I should start prepping those classes soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home