|

Friday, February 22, 2008

Hmmmm… snow day, snow day, snow day!!!!

Yesterday we had an ice storm; it has continued through today, and will continue into the evening. My enthusiasm for the time off is tempered a bit by the fiasco that was yesterday. They didn’t call off school until I got there. I had one of the more dangerous commutes of my adult life, followed by the even more hazardous return trip.

When I got in the truck to go to school yesterday the windshield was clear, and by the time I reached the highway, not five minutes away, I had to pull over and scrape. The ice was freezing to the windshield faster than the defrosters could keep up with. You can imagine what the streets, lacking defrosters, were like.

It took me an hour to get to work when it normally takes twenty five minutes. It took me TWO HOURS to get home and I narrowly avoided being involved in two separate accidents. I am still a little hacked off at my district for putting the kids and their parents, the other faculty, and myself on roads no one should have been driving on – only to cancel once we were all already there. I was certainly happy to get the call last night that they were doing an early cancellation for today.

Sooooooooooo, I am enjoying baby time and getting a few home projects taken care of. I took a two hour nap yesterday and then slept nine hours last night; apparently I had quite a sleep debt to work off. We are not planning to leave the house anytime soon – it feels like we’re hibernating. I made this roasted red pepper soup that is great served in a coffee cup with a dollop of sour cream in it: perfect hibernation fare.

I guess this is what people with blogs do – recount the minutia of the minutes for the masses (ah, make that the twenty or so people who read this). Still, it’s nice to have a few minutes for minutia for a change. I am off to give E a bath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home