|

Friday, February 27, 2004

Odd how when it’s years since you’ve seen someone it takes awhile to connect the dots, Karl you need to be open and compassionate in all areas of your life – open to what is happening right now and learning from it.. So to use to New Age lingo “my current transit” involves people from my past appearing. Earlier this week we had Mark come into town and bring Liz back into my life – we celebrated his thirty third birthday Tuesday night. Last night John, who used to hang out with Mark and I in earlier H.S., who ended up marrying a friend of mine Milena from college, called – he left a message and didn’t sound too hot – wonder what’s up there as he left no call back number. So Mark and John, that in-itself would be an odd overlap. Today Leslie came in for a massage. I saw her and thought, “Ok, I know her, but from where?”
“Have you been here before?”
“No, I’m here for a massage with Diane.”
“Ok, right this way.”
– Thinking to myself, “Not a student, former student, regular client? I know her from the ville 1996 or so. She’s not that girl who went to Wash U Law– but a similar face. I must know her through John and Becky.”
When she comes up to pay an hour later, I say, we know each other”
“Yes, I was thinking that- from the ville?”
“You know John and Rebecca.”
“Yes, are you here a lot? Because I’ll definitely be back.”
“Yeah, I’m the Administrative Coordinator which translates to always here.”
“My name is Karl”
“So you’re Karl – there were two guys who sort of looked like you and I wasn’t sure which one you were.”
– After she leaves I realize that Leslie was one of Mary’s best friends. One of the friend tests that you have to pass early in a relationship, “Does Leslie approve?” It hasn’t been years since I last saw Leslie, it’s been months since I saw her at Mary’s memorial service. She was one of the key speakers, with Salwa and others, trying to come to terms with Mary’s passing, thanking her for what she was to them, celebrating her life. That memorial service was a three hour celebration. I walked home immediately after and made a stiff drink, the Mary I knew would have done the exact same thing. I’m glad Leslie’s coming here for massage. I hope Diane can help. I think she has a daughter now, I think that’s part of what she talked about, Mary with her daughter and the future absence of Mary with her daughter. I have vague memories of car rides with Leslie, Mary and Salwa in that little Golf that Mary drove– maybe we all went to Columbia to go dancing, maybe that was in St. Louis – eight years ago means it’s all a fog. Maybe sometime in the future we’ll talk about it. Is she Heath’s sister? I think she is. Heath and Megan sat in the same row as BJ and I at the funeral. Megan is my old roommate John’s sister. John Married my friend Becky that I’ve known since high school. Apparently we’re coming round a wide gyre where who I was meets who I am, unsettling. Who I am is a bit of a wreck, but perhaps I’ve got more potential now, having been knocked around a bit.

Erica just called, she wants me to have a BBQ tomorrow – that is a great idea. She wanted to know how I was doing, “I really wouldn’t even know where to start, we can talk about it tomorrow – I’ll call you later to work out the details.”
Erin called last night at eleven. I thought it was Erica. I didn’t recognize her voice as she’s not anyone I ever talked to on the phone and she sounded so “chipper”. Sorry about the phone and the spices, Brad can have the tea pot. The emails worked. She’s coming over at six tonight with my phone, my spices, her checkbook, and an explanation. Jen said she’d have preferred a check in the mail and, “who cares why she left.” I’m convinced that we’re in for a critique of my personality, which to be sure has its rough spots, but still – I thought we were becoming friends. I opened my life, my home, my friends to her. I’ll just get angry if I keep on with this line of thought – be open – learn from spilt milk, it’s healthier. Though don’t keep it around to long – the smell is growth prohibitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home