|

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Wedensday am, took Angela home at six am and did power yoga. My dog is freaked out and acting out because of the roommate departure. Dogs are essentially conservative animals when it comes to change, they are not in favor of the alteration of routine. He’s been like this at every change over. So, he ate a piece of chicken off my plate as I was serving our dinner last night – major fault there. As we were going to bed I could hear him fucking with the trashcan trying to get at the chicken bones. I put the trashcan on top of the fridge and came down in the morning to discover he’d eaten the loaf of Russian peasant bread left over from the fondue party – fucker. So I put him out back and did power yoga instead of am yoga with Rodney Yee and yet I still have about a half hour before I need to get to work – I feel ya Jen about work – Deb came out yesterday and said “look I’ve been really supportive of what you’re going through, on the other hand people die all the time – straighten up K – she was only partially kidding – luckily I have been back to my tenacious work self the past few days so four or five more intense days and I should be in the clear. The roommate search has begun, girl #1 unfortunately signed a lease Saturday, bad timing. Boy #1 will come by this weekend to see the place. I need to get more feelers out. I took Angela to see a Brahms and Mahler concert last night at the Sheldon. I hadn’t been there in years. Whenever Angela talks about the Sheldon she drops the parenthetical, “do you know that they built it accidentally acoustically perfect,” or “in addition to being acoustically perfect…” She assistant directed a music video that was shot there in the late eighties as part of the effort to save it from destruction. We left at intermission as we were both starving and had really only wanted to see the first two pieces anyway, the second half was more focused on being a storytelling fundraiser for a new inner city school – which was the reason for the concert – and we bought our tickets so the further musical pitch was not needed as we’d contributed already. Here’s a different plug for you, we arrived early and they were not yet seating, so we went to their art gallery. Honestly it just kept going, five wonderful exhibits that I enjoyed as much as, if not more than the music. The first three art pieces were contemporary pieces, one by Soo Sunny Park, an art teacher Angela had had at Webster. The general theme would be Asian American self awareness – Ramen noodles and giant dried plant leaves leading you around a gallery corner to a small grove of free standing dried bamboo and the packages from which the ramen came, the second exhibit was on African origins of Jazz, Mark should bring is music students down from T – there are multiple rooms devoted to particular areas of the continent, then some fabulous photography – silver gelatin prints – I particularly liked the Project Series which explored the assimilation of Korean women into various cultures; one in front of a Dixie flag with a shotgun toting good old boy, one giving gang sign in group of heavily tattooed African Americans, one having dinner in a trendy restaurant entitled The Yupie Project- each looking perfectly at home. The textile exhibit from the Harvard school of design is not my thing, smacked of privilege divorced from context, I do appreciate the bare bones basic elements of design that these sorts of projects aim at but again, well judge for yourself – the premise was to use felt for construction, felt and rubber bands. Rubber bands don’t really hold up all that well…. I know it’s conceptual. The worst were the wearable dwellings, look it’s a raincoat and a tent, noblise oblige please, ick, we have mad affordable housing and raincoats for the poor!!! Next were children’s paintings from China, Angela’s favorite part, “this was me as a five year old” What’s the Picasso quote, “all children are great artists, the trick is to keep them from forgetting it” something like that. Anyway must post this and get me to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home