|

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I’m getting some of my fifteen minutes of fame this month. There is a show on PBS called Living St. Louis – they did a segment on Saratoga Lanes (one of the people on our league is the camera man for the show) and apparently Vanessa and I are featured bowling in the background during the owner’s voice over. I haven’t seen it yet – but apparently it’s quite long. Vanessa and Hannah informed me that I was having people over Saturday night – I will make Hannah bring the tape over as a condition of festivities. I wonder what my old students think when they see that stuff, most of them were from St. Louis. About two years ago St. Louis magazine did a feature on massage and there was a big spread on The Healing Arts Center. There was a full page photo of me on a shiatsu mat with our shiatsu instructor Mary pulling me into what would be called the cobra pose in yoga. I’m face down sort of and she’s kneeling on my butt while pulling my arms and torso into a back bend. This picture has apparently become a stock photo for St. Louis Magazine as it’s been run again in the current issue, with an article about alternative therapies. It’s around page 40. So I could post a photo of me, I think Jen has somewhere on her blog, or I can point you to my many public appearances (Ha).

Comfortable in my life? Jen quarries and states simultaneously in her blog – in work and life Jen, I do what comes next. What comes next is to make lemonade, to have a party, to be with friends & family and support one another. Angela told me the other day that she’s seen me go through a lot of changes lately, all for the good. I am reviewing my life and this blog is part of that. My art is on the wall at home (photography and fiction), my voice is on the web here now; for good or ill I am in my life and living it, which has not always been the case. There’s a Taoist proverb that goes something like, “Once you realize that your life is a prewritten script, all you have to do is embellish the part.” Sort of like saying good and bad shit is going to happen to you – your power lies in how you react to it. As we pulled into Dillard’s last night, amid the BMWs and Lexi, I was singing in my best mock operatic baritone about my car, that smells like gas, that has no back seat, that is missing a hubcap on the front right tire. At the moment I got a pretty good song out of my vehicular fortune, and more importantly I made Angela laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home