|

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I was reading an interview with Tom Robbins yesterday and it raised some issues for me. I had done a web search on the anniversary of Elvis’ death to determine whether or not he had died in the can while reading Robbins’ book Another Roadside Attraction. There is an apparent case for this being the King’s final read. Anyway, the interview is fairly interesting and raises a point I have been considering as regards the activity of blogging. William Gibson, author of Neuromancer, was maintaining a blog and discontinued it as he began to write a novel, stating that bloging undermines the building of pressure needed to write a novel. Robbins makes a point about the importance of anonymity and suggests that if he had it to do over he would write/live like Salinger or Pynchon so that biography would not overly inform artistic appreciation. He wishes he knew less about the biographies of his favorite writers. If I do want to write longer pieces should I tank the blog and redirect my energy, while at the same time erasing my personal history as Robbins advises, obscuring the facts of my life to elevate the images of my fiction?

In other news Hannah bought a house this week and after bowling last night she dragged me to several lesbian haunts where we found very few lesbians, but several gin and tonics and even the occasional Budweiser.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home