|

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Slice o my life to be put under glass for observation:

I am as per usual the first to arrive. I unlock the front door and set the pin so that others can get in. I turn on the hall lights and the lights in the back room. I clock in. I am on salary, but I am still asked to use the time clock, though this generates no used data. My time cards are put in a file and are never looked at. I don’t date the cards so even if you were to see my average hours you wouldn’t know what days they correspond to. I try two or three keys on the office door and unlock it when I find the correct one. Nancy, the Kundalini yoga instructor enters and we exchange our usual Thursday morning hellos. I turn on two floor lamps and a fountain in the office. I turn off an om cd that has been on repeat overnight oming aaaaauuuuuuummmmmmm to clean the energy in the office. You know what I mean. Your work has these, right?

I enter the bookstore and turn on the overhead lights. I unlock the double French doors leading into the store and I turn off the store’s om cd. I set the ac by the t-shirts to 76 degrees down from the overnight setting of 80 degrees. I turn on the photocopy machine – it will take five minutes to warm up. I pick out a cd for the store, Galana’s “Moon of the First Snow” Native American flute music. I open the door that leads from the store into the main floor classroom. There are two thermostats here and I set them both to 76 degrees. I plug in two lamps in the hallway and a string of Christmas tree lights that are strung through a fake fichus tree.

I can hear Nancy upstairs beginning her preparatory chanting, “ha – ha – ha –ha.” in loud blasts wholly unlike laughter. She is energetically clearing the space upstairs to prep for the students. Anne arrives and clocks in. We both go into the classroom and begin rearranging the tables for the business class. The custodians cleaned last night so all the folding chairs have been stored so they could vacuum. We set up the chairs at the repositioned tables.

Students begin to arrive. I return to the front desk and take a in a few tuition payments. Anne does the same functioning of thermostats and oming cd players downstairs in the clinic and upstairs in the bodywork classrooms, while I get the computer network up and running. The business class instructor arrives and begins making copies on the now warm machine. She has a puppy she wants me to take, but I’ve decided against the lab sheltie mix – BJ this would be the perfect dog for you. Interested? All fees paid, comes with cage, leash, bowl, and toys. You could come up for the housewarming and get the dog.

Angela is having a party – wine and cheese – tonight to watch the debates. “If people ask if they can bring anything I have plenty of reds, but very few whites.”

The phones start to ring and I open up the To Do list on my desk top. #1 schedule cpr class for mid December, #2 contact Rita in Chicago about hot stone hand class requirements, #3 make Reiki certificates for Friday distribution, #4 etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home