|

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Overblown supercharged rhetorical razz up for the intellectual personal and financial football game that is about to commence:

I hereby invoke the power of Miyamoto Musashi’s Book of Five Rings and Machiavelli’s mountain missive to the Medici (or was it meadow? What was the topography of his exile?). I am Ronan hear me roar. Let’s hit the ground running shall we? Tomorrow at nine a.m. I go to work for myself as independent contractor extrodinare.

Bluntly I am sick of working for other people whose values I don’t share. I am sick to death of lacking the courage of my convictions and being compromised and coy for cash. If I am to now put all the energy into my life that heretofore I have put into the HAC, which is considerable, and from which I have been physically and spiritually exhausted, I should take the skills in multitasking machination that I have developed and use them in a way that is consistent with my ideals (which are what exactly?). I do believe it’s time to get my praxis up and running.

Why did I burn out on teaching in the first place and why have I been afraid to go back? Because I couldn’t pay my bills and I didn’t believe in the way that I was teaching. Honestly, I was still painting too much by the numbers and I lacked the energy and the will to break my process and reassemble it correctly so that I could teach from a standpoint that I found ethically satisfying.

Practical praxis #1 – revenue stream - Monday

File for unemployment to ensure cushion – Jason will be the lawyer on that one based on prior experience, should it come to that, however Deby raised no objections when I sounded her out. Regardless, the guns are drawn.

Car for sale in driveway
500 or best offer – needs work – copy of prescription for repair from garage in window.
Sell it honestly and quickly

Car, etc. also for sale on Ebay

Master Ebay – liquidate the lodge of luxury items (as if)

Applications in to sub in local school districts

Clarify freelance offer – two fold – offer to establish him in St. Louis via my contacts with Spirit Seeker, The Living Insight Center, etc. & work book deal at lower rate with residuals.

Join Tammy’s networking association for freelance writing – make offer to Cindy at Spirit for freelance

Consider grant writing certification in Oklahoma should revenue stream allow it.

Exercise – it’s time for me to improve my health through exercise and diet.

Space – clear my clutter with feng shui (get ready for garage sale)

Humor – write account of Sunday’s ridiculous encounter with gym church

Family – spend the evening with folks and Henry

Future – FAFSA – could actually start somewhere as non degree seeking student at semester – December – get gala loans (10,000 max per grad year at low rate) and roll credit card debt into them.

Conundrums – bar work pays bills, but comes with a lifestyle price tag of the slippery slope variety – Monster.com generates offers, but why not be your own boss for once? Nothing-ventured… work at Venture. Can we please get beyond the ongoing ego ass kiss of the ethically dubious?

Albatross – Phil is bringing new battery at Thanksgiving, which will go to the bus– I will make a late November or early December attempt at resurrection.

That sounds like a full day doesn’t it?

Final advice – the best part of being your own boss is that you control the pace – you need to decompress and haste can oft bring waste to health and happiness – so said Churchill and other worthy toastmasters. Set yourself a schedule that you can rely on to prevent depressing slide into inaction – you need an influx of cash by the fifteenth and another one by the thirtieth. Your lease is up at the end of February and you paid first and last so that means December and January rent & December, January, and February bills/credit card payments.

Now go to Hannah’s and help warm her house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home