|

Friday, April 08, 2005

I’m not sure where I picked up the habit of saying, “boom” when things change. I think it has something to do with the shifting of plate tectonics through punctuated equilibrium being a central metaphor for my perception of the nature of change and stagnation. Like plates in the earth’s crust change is both constant and occasionally radical resultant from the release of pressures built up over time.

Kat called me today about a not for profit and education job fair at Wash U. I printed out twenty resumes and went over to run the handshake face-time gauntlet. The most productive of these meetings was with the Human Resources director of Rockwood Schools who took one look at my resume and told me that I would be perfect for their gifted students program in that it was obvious that my background would allow for teaching at a depth that people with just a standard education background would lack. He also turned me on to how to register with a database of educators that is searchable by every major school district in St. Louis. He said, you’re why I come to these things – to catch the occasional non-traditional.

I don’t know if you experience yourself through degrees of presence, but I do. I live in my head and as a consequence of that you might imagine my body as more of a puppet that I rarely put my whole hand into. I am rarely all here. It’s hasn't been required of me lately. At the prospect of returning to work in a committed environment when I am a needed and utilized resource I had the unusual sensation of fully showing up – stepping out of my fog and being surprised to discover that I used to feel this good all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home