|

Monday, April 11, 2005

Ok, I just made the mistake of watching the NBC nightly news. I generally get my actual news from NPR and the reasons for that were made pointedly obvious by tonight’s broadcast. I was treated to two pointless stories, actually many, but two that stood out. The first was about a bunny rabbit being held hostage on the internet with a 50,000 dollar ransom and the second was about what songs our beloved president listens to on the IPOD that his daughters gave him, “while he mountain bikes.”

I thought human-interest stories required an interesting human. What I find interesting is that NBC did not report how, given the ongoing debacle that is Iraq, it’s odd that old George has enough time in his schedule to travel the country pitching the masses the end of their social security safety net, pretending to be Catholic, and going fucking mountain biking with an IPOD. My naiveté about the propaganda subservience of the major networks has long since dissolved with the same pop rocks in pepsi frenzy that tanked my respect and admiration for the Supreme Court in Gore V. Bush. Still, watching the rabbit and the weasel get airplay over the war and the economy took my nearly numb last nerve and gave it a good jolt. This country is a fucking mess.

I don’t mind a little chatter about Bubba’s BBQ, Ronnie’s Jelly Belly habit, Jimmy’s Peanuts, or George Bush Sr.’s mistress, but not in prime time when we’re in the middle of a fucking war. Especially please spare me the listening habits of the puppet regent who only tunes in to people who are playing his song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home