|

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Diane asked me to give her breakup advice today. When does it get easier? How long were you together? So, a year and a half later from the latest breakup, those of you who’ve known me longest are aware that this ship has a wake and this is only the latest in a long string (and we do not throw life preservers in this man’s navy), and I still think about her in a significant way on a weekly if not a daily basis. Not much help Diane, sorry. Serial monogamist walking. James came in to the center to sort financial shit and they seemed to do ok. I asked how the summit was. Later in the day she went to Whole Foods and got in the checkout line of James’ current paramour, “cause her line was the shortest.” Why is this a bad decision apart from the obvious? Diane has a domestic partner card, as James is a manager there, which gives her 20% off her groceries obviously because of James. Diane asked James if she could continue to use said card even though they are no longer partners. He said yes. The paramour objects obviously along both personal and corporate policy lines. Don’t poke the bear (you can really live by that advice – don’t poke the bear – say it with me – do not poke the fucking bear (but if you have to poke the bear, cause sometimes you have to, then really get your money’s worth and poke the fucking bear)). Don’t get in the wrong line out of spite or your grocery bill will get jacked 20% permanently. It’s one thing to be passive aggressive, it’s something else to be passive aggressive with yourself. Of course 20% off Whole Foods prices equals Shop and Save prices so she can just switch outlets sans wheat grass.
Ah well, we had an odd happy talk at work this am. Deby, who has saved my life by being an insanely competent boss, expressed that she was happier then she’d been in years despite all our shared job stress. I said that when I caught up with my friend Beth over the weekend, it was really clear to me that I was doing really well in spite of my fucked up year and that I was basically happy, I told her that I often hadn’t been doing well, but now I am so it’s ok. Deby astutely said, “Well one thing that makes you unhappy is that you don’t really understand how appreciated and needed you are here. I don’t think you realize how essential you are, how many people you help. I know it’s not teaching, so the rewards aren’t the same, but you provide so much here, I wish you could realize that more.” Thanks Deby, that was very appreciated. See a good boss knows when to blow smoke up your ass! All you bosses out there blow us some smoke, it goes a long way and only affects the bottom line in terms of increased productivity. Ok I’m going to go to laundry – CU. My counter keeps going up, but no comments, a voyeur’s paradise, please faceless mass comment so I know you are out there, and that this is a worthy or hopelessly unworthy enterprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home