|

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Thad seems workable as roommate. He comes across as a little shy, but seemed to fit into the group well. He seems mature and grounded, I was far more impressed then I expected to be. Our party was more of a dinner party than anything else. Vanessa made spinach cheese balls and brought all green fresh veggies for dipping. I wore my old Ryan’s bartending shirt, it was that or a Greenbay Packers jersey. Beth brought Bailey’s Irish Cream to have on the rocks, Angela brought a brie and a goat cheese (one of the best brie’s I’ve ever had – the Allouette that she normally gets is much milder and we all agree that stronger is better). I started cooking at two pm – a combo recipe that starts with warming your roaster to 225 and putting in your corn beef roast, dump ½ cup of apple cider vinegar over the roast (each roast) and then the seasoning packet that will come with the roast – salt and pepper to taste and then cover the roast with apple juice. I did two roasts in a large roaster so that was two liters of apple juice. Then you add quartered red potatoes (six pounds), carrots (2 lbs), and cover everything in cabbage. 4-5 hours at 225 – or until done – or until your party hits the point where everyone has recovered from their initial binge on appetizers and is ready for the main course (if you're cooking this on a stove on simmer you'll want to let it cook for three to four hours before you add the vegge - but in a slow cooker they all go in together). Brad brought martini fixings but he was the only taker. The rest of us mainly drank black and golds – like a black and tan but with Harp instead of Bass. As part of my barware I must have ten of those Guiness spoons to assist in the perfect separation pour (where the guiness floats on top of the Harp). We listened to The Clancy Brothers & The Pouges – so all things Irish were in play. I posted the lyrics to the two most essential Irish drinking songs, and I encourage you all to memorize them as your assignment for next year (or this year as there is still time)– I will do the same as I am currently only good at the refrains. Hannah brought me a gift from a restaurant supply store – a tri-layered salt, sugar, Rosie’s lime dispenser to easily get salt on your margarita glass – or sugar should you be so inclined. Nice to have a smaller party really, intimate – more personal conversations. The only real drama of the night was the departure of Phil. Vanessa has been dating a guy named Phil that she met online, but she’s wanted to break up with him for over two weeks and just hasn’t. He did not bring his own car and when Vanessa wasn’t interested in leaving he simply left – he lives maybe three miles from here – it was raining off and on. Vanessa said, “His choice, I guess I don’t have to call him anymore.” I thought he was fine, until the last party when he made a rude comment about my dog – after that the official line is we like him if you like him – but you’re what matters. Does this all sound sophomoric? I suppose that’s because it is. Every once in awhile you get to be kids on the playground again and that’s not all bad, I would love to play foursquare again. We seem to mature intellectually, but when it comes to matters of the heart we are children again as often as not – why is that? I heard a dog trainer once say that wolves reach adulthood, but the domesticated dog is stopped from maturing past adolescence and they never get beyond it, are we the same in our socialization and civilization – frozen at emotional adolescence? An open question. Angela is up and now I must go have adolescent fun. It’s a gorgeous day here in St. Louis an we aim to enjoy it – ahhh breakfast outdoors in the West End – Copperman’s awaits us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home