|

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

If I were attempting in this blog to get a summery of my daily itinerary then I would have to admit that I have fallen very far behind. Time spent writing on cold days is too easily replaced when warmth arrives ushering in long walks with the dog. St. Louis has a rapid transition of seasons. Monday last I had to bring the plants in due to a possible frost, my neighbors turned their central air on over the weekend because of the heat, it happens that fast – five days. I actually turned my heat off back in February as it was a mild spring and I needed to save money; the dog has fur and the fish have their own little tank heaters.

We left off at Thursday I think. Friday night I took Angela and Vanessa to the airport and gained Stoltz for the weekend. I equipped them each with a flask full of Sky vodka and sent then on their merry way. Brad and Beth came over Friday night and we grilled in the backyard – very mellow. They left early and I watched the made for the Science Fiction Channel mini-series Children of Dune. I enjoyed that and am reminded how much I enjoy those books. I might reread them soon as my nephew just got the first one. It would be fun to read it with him.

Saturday Brad came over in the morning and we walked the dogs down to the Loop. We had coffee and read out in front of St. Louis Bread Company. Lots of little kids came up to pet the dogs.

“How old is your dog?”
“He’s ten, but he still acts like a puppy.”
“I think my rabbit is ten, but she has a problem.”
“Oh yeah, what’s that.”
“Well I think she’s blind or something, wanna know where she goes to the bathroom?”
She leans in close, “She goes to the bathroom in her food dish, ewwwwww.”

“Honey, come and eat your sandwich.”

A twelve-year-old girl Asian girl set up her cello on the steps next to us. Her music books were decorated with drawings of butterflies and had titles written out in her own hand. She must have been instructed to transcribe the music as part of her training. Her teacher was busy setting up her stand etc. while she applied hand lotion in preparation for her performance. Brad and I were both expecting Mozart, but she cut against the grain and began to play fabulous American roots music.

After the dog walk I cleaned out a lot of Mitchell’s crap from the basement, I put it in the garage with the remaining debris from Richard’s estate sale (held well over a year ago) and later in the day the men who had been cleaning the garage out earlier in the week came back to finish the job. Feels good to be rid of some of that psychic weight.

Saturday night Arnie and Alana took Mary and I out to dinner at The King and I for wonderful Thai food. It was probably the best meal I’ve ever had there, they must have a new chef. Afterwards Mary came over for Gin and the Steve Martin film Novocain.

Sunday I mostly relaxed and cleaned. I watched About Schmidt and picked Angela and Vanessa up from the airport. I watched Sopranos over at Angela’s and helped her put her new fish tank together.

Monday I picked Christine up from the airport and we had House of India for lunch great food. She had a good trip enjoyed the break from her daily life that conferences allow. Later I went bowling – we lost – and I went to Tiffany’s for late night breakfast after – Vanessa ordered me something called The Shiter, which should be self-explanatory, but involved sausage, hash browns, and two eggs covered by a healthy portion of chili – served with toast and coffee. I don’t plan to eat today as I’ve had my calories for the week.

I might expand on these scenes, as there were some noteworthy moments, I initially just wanted to try and recall chronology.

For example:

I arrived at Mary’s on Saturday at about ten till seven. While we were waiting for Arnie and Alana Mary revealed that she had a bottle of wine to share as they toured her new house, however, she had no opener. Oddly enough (this is odd) I didn’t have one with me, after a quick check of the car I went inside and found her junk drawer. If you ever find yourself in this predicament you may be tempted to force the cork into the bottle. This results in the shredding of the cork and everyone’s wine glasses being filled with floating debris. Instead, locate a long screw and screw driver, use a knife to cut back the foil as per usual and then screw the screw into the cork. Having done this you then proceed to remove said cork with the claw potion of the hammer. Always remember the Marine Corps motto kids, “When in the field, improvise”. This is never more true then when you are under threat of being denied consumables which are present but obstructed somehow.
My father tells a related story of compromise from his days in the Korean War. The American Marines were on a troop transport train with members of the Australian military. The Marines had been provided with food rations while the Australians had not. Having a different hierarchy of needs, the Australians had case upon case of Foster’s Lager, but no food. The compromise seems obvious. The improvisation, which arose to remove obstacles, involved throwing the American MPs off the train as a removal of impediment to shared consumption. When in the field, improvise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home