|

Thursday, May 13, 2004

The latest in the ongoing fish dream saga:

My boss recently bought a new house and moved. In my dream last night I was helping to move my employee Diane into his old house. He had left several fish tanks behind. My coworker Debbie arrived with a white and orange splotched fish that could swim through the air and didn’t need water. In order to get it to stay in a tank we had to add water.

Seems like a “live outside the paradigm” metaphor – a fish that doesn’t need water. Hmm Fish out of water and managing fine, people from work, we just need to add water to keep him in place and keep him happy. Water in my tank…

Thoughts: Setting up and decorating fish tanks over the past few months has had a large impact on my personal mythology. A probable structuring device for a proto novella, should I ever try my hand at that. When I walk the dog in the am through my neighborhood I contemplate the houses I pass, and the people within them, in the context of fish tanks. I live in an area where thankfully every house is unique. Most of the home owners do interesting things with the front yards, which evoke the plant placements of a well-planned tank. We move through these spaces in our lives much as fish move in their tanks. My life here in St. Louis plays out mostly in recurring locations and I think to myself, “Here I am again in this part of the tank.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home