|

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

When I am well I cook:

A side truth – perhaps when I blog less I cook more. Last night I made Angela and Mary Beth Steak tip Fajitas with three kinds of peppers, onion, sour cream, Colby, Jack, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, romaine, all seasoned with cayenne, paprika, white and black fresh ground pepper corns served with tortilla chips and doctored salsa.

Tonight I made Mary and Mary Beth lamb shoulder in olive oil browned in a cast iron skillet. In the Dutch oven I cooked down potato wedges in a stick of butter with the left over cilantro; added late for flavor. When the lamb had browned three minutes on each side, I removed it from the heat and drained off the fat. I then added ½ cup of lemon juice with a teaspoon of dried tarragon to begin a sauce with which to whisk up the flavor of the browned steaks – deglazing the pan in the process. Separately I blended a tablespoon of honey from the farmers market with ½ teaspoon of sea salt and ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. I added a teaspoon of mustard to the blend with two tablespoons of butter as well. Mary worked that over in the mortar for me and then I mixed it into the reduction and returned the lamb to the pan to flavor. On the plate I served the shredded left over romaine and the potatoes. The lamb was served over the romaine and the sauce was poured over both meat and vegge to serve in the additional capacity of dressing.

It is a very good sign that I am cooking. It shows me on the road to bright places, as in the dark there is no sustenance.

Mary just went to Pete’s Sure Save for more gin, so I thought I’d take a blog break and open the evening’s pleasures up to the wider world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home