|

Friday, January 07, 2005

I’ve been inspired by the restoration of my computer to improved functionality. What if I were to rebuild and restore myself along those same lines so that I was faster, stronger, better. Maybe I’ve just been watching too many martial arts movies (Blade #3 & Resident Evil: Apocalypse), but once upon a time I was ripped, and as I sit in the theater and watch these honed performers I have a desire to surpass my former health. I’ll make the classic Platonic mind body dualism faux pau and express this in spheres of both physical and mental health (for what is the mind but a part of the body).

What I mean by that is we have inherited a tendency to view the body as a vehicle rather than the stuff we are made of – example: “I broke my arm” as though the arm is a possession of the “I” rather than the “I” itself. It is perhaps this paradigmatic view of our own bodies as other (see, I’m still doing it), inherent in the language that we use about ourselves, that leads to many contemporary neurosis of both self-objectification and self-denial. So I am declaring my body mind complex, put the Venn diagrams where thou wilt, to be under a strict renovation order. Bob Villa, let’s see what we can make of this old house.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home