|

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Meat Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you do when things are looking off? You have another damn BBQ! We have so much meat left we could serve another fourteen people. I am in a meat coma. My anima is animal. Brats, ribs, burgers, potatoes of every size and style, we are gluttons. It is Spring.

So you have to figure I was a little down with my flash in the pan introduction to temping. But Angela made me go for a very long walk Friday night and then I felt better, and Erica came over and we watched that great movie when I was so flush with endorphins that I proclaimed it the best film ever in the history of modern cinema, still it is good and you should rent it. Then I slept really well and Brad and I went junk shopping at rummage sales and a few thrifts. We must have hit twenty sales over the course of Saturday morning and I bought one item: a plastic mold for an ice sculpture of a dolphin for one dollar and fifty cents.

Every time we got back in the car from someone’s driveway I would look at that dolphin and start to laugh. My goal was to have a frozen ice sculpture done in time for our BBQ –I wanted to put it right in the center of Vanessa’s veggie tray - alas it was not be. But this morning, when my sister Vick and I got back from nine holes of golf at Ruth Park I was able to unveil to her a fine frosty dolphin perfect for any shipboard buffet, now I just need to go buy a little decorative lettuce to surround the base.

I have a second dolphin freezing right now and I am going to continue making them all week so that we can have a pod of frozen dolphins swimming across the buffet at Beth’s birthday BBQ. I plan to use food coloring to make an assortment of colorful dolphins. How do you transport a pod of frozen dolphins? The company made other ice sculpture molds, circa 1978, and I may try to collect them all, especially the frog. I could make a dolphin out of Jello with vodka instead of water.

You drinkers out there, don’t forget about Jello, it’s great for any occasion. I bought a Jello mold of the human brain at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and all through graduate school my parties were occasionally curve balled by the arrival of the dreaded Jello brain. I think the best tasting one was a vodka Collins brain. Tequila was the worst one. No, Mescal was the worst. If I ever offer you some Mescal laced Jello dolphin I think you should politely decline the offer. You can make mudslide brains that actually look like brains and then if you pour grenadine over them they look like bloody brains. Eek!

I played terrible golf today, particularly that third hole along the tree line, but our random foursome partners were very gracious. Dave had one of those throat cancer voice boxes that he had to toggle to talk. Michael told me that he made some good investments and now he does nothing. He’s a St. Louis U-City native on full coast with some rental properties and part ownership of a restaurant. I think he said it was the expansion Fitz’s, but I’m not sure if I’m remembering that correctly. I shook Dave’s hand at the end of the match and I could feel the looseness of his arm and I wonder how long he has. He was wearing bandages around his neck perhaps from recent surgery, but he played a strong nine and didn’t seem anymore winded by it than I was.

My game quality may have been influenced by my late night. The dregs of the party caught couch around two thirty a.m. and then I was up again at seven for golf. It’s a good thing I slept well the night before. I’d post pictures of the party, but for a change we didn’t take any. Anyway, I feel a nap coming on and then I have to plant the Canna Mary brought me from her place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home