|

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Slowing down:

My seemingly infinite to do list ran out of gas on Friday and I find myself in a weekend where there isn’t actually much of anything that I should be doing. Even laundry, dishes and vacuuming are caught up on. If I wanted to create some work I suppose I could file my recent financial paperwork, but that aside I really am in relax mode.

The weather finally broke with a series of impressive Missouri thunderstorms that knocked out the power more than once last night and gave several of my plants adventures in motion. True to form I decided to have a few people over in that last minute sort of way, because nothing says BBQ like a squall line. I set the grill up in the entrance to the garage and cooked the storm away. Charcoal does not require electricity.

I did a three meat meal with Cajun chicken BBQ, Venison, and teriyaki salmon (and teriyaki vegetable kabobs). Trader Joe’s really has high quality salmon. I made Jes my Salmon Lucerne the other day with salmon from Schnuck’s grocery and I had some salmon left over from that, so we got to do a side by side quality comparison. The Schnuck’s was a dollar fifty more per pound and much lower on a quality scale.

Karl’s Salmon Lucerne:

Baste cookware with olive oil – some mid size bake ware
Salmon as per the number of guests
Fresh lemon juice over salmon then add to bake ware
Fresh dill over salmon and salt/pepper to taste

In a bowl combine two cups sour cream, two raw eggs, and one half cup fresh grated parmesan. Hand mix and pour over salmon to cover when smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the top browns. You’ll want to use a deep pan as the top will swell like a soufflé. I dust the top with another layer of cheese. This makes a very rich meal, so watch out.

So of course you’ve figured out by now that Jes and I are dating. I think we’re at six weeks or so. I’d like to impress her with my cooking, but her step dad David is a much better cook than me. My best dishes get me as far as showing potential.

The other night David did several courses for Jes and a group of friends beginning with a Caprese salad with fresh a sweet basil pesto
A chilled potato soup with fresh cilantro
A three been salad with fresh rosemary
And grill roasted chicken with fresh everything
Followed by a seedless watermelon for desert

When she first was telling her family about the new boy she told David that I cook with cast iron. She’s over at the glass studio this morning getting ready for her show on Friday.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The problem with dating someone this cool is that you need to up your own wattage. I feel like my wattage has been in the garage under a tarp for some time, but I can hear the crackling of a Tesla’s coil and that little needle on the amp gauge is beginning to register some current.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home