|

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I am having an odd morning. I am sort of euphoric. It’s just one of those days where I just feel really grateful for everything I have, and by “have” I mean the friendships, opportunities, and responsibilities that are in my life right now. Last night I went out with Kat and Jes for Indian food after I got off work and this morning I had an artichoke soufflé at Panera Bread Company, so my euphoria could be dietary. Or perhaps it’s that my work is going well, despite the weekend debacle of a poorly organized event. Most of my students are on track and I do think that this online class structure can work. I feel helpful and prepared in my teaching role. My girlfriend is home. I like that.

I got up very early this morning to read psychology journals for one of my courses. We are doing the legal and intellectual history of disability in America right now and it is fascinating stuff. In my study of American atrocities I had somehow missed Virginia’s forced sterilization of over 800,000 poor and mentally infirm. Their program was foundational for Hitler’s final solution. Having attended Truman State I already knew about our “distinguished” alumni Harry Laughlin and his Medal of Honor in Eugenics from Hitler, I was unaware of the degree to which we had put these theories into practice – in Virginia and California in particular.

Ah well, back to studying. I love school. Does that make me a dork? Is it bad to be a dork? I used to play Zork… I have some understanding of the physical phenomena quark… On Saturday last I served friends pork… Does incessant rhyming make you say hork or stab your eye with a fork?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home