|

Monday, January 02, 2006

Well, it’s after two thirty in the a.m. and I am getting back to a late night schedule. This does not bode well for my high school teaching career. Ah well, I have until the thirteenth of the month to switch back to a day schedule. I was up late before New Years cleaning and getting our house in order. Our last party guest left last night after four a.m. (not including the guests who didn’t leave until the sun was up). We gave up our bed to the wounded and slept air mattresses.

We had lots of compliments from our party guests who seemed astounded that the place seemed so complete after only two weeks in partial residence. You can go to Beth’s or Jen’s web page to find out a little more about our party. Beth has some good images up on her page. (You’ll find links in the sidebar.)

I guess I want to say that Jes and I have done a lot of picture hanging and furniture arranging, but having a party here for the friends who were able to come has done more to transform this space from a house into a home than any amount of cosmetic aesthetics could. Thank you all so much for a great New Years.

Derek was just telling me he thought that the party showed that we were able to transition many of the positive elements of the previous place while leaving behind acres of negativity – it really was a symbolic party for a new start in a new year.

Thank you Vicki-not-my-sister-at-outside-in for your great gift which has just found its way to me – I haven’t actually heard many of these Sedaris stories even though I’ve seen him speak twice now – Jes and I both enjoyed the chocolates.

Thank you Michelle de Seattle for all your long distance support; your encouragement and presence in my daily life at this computer is as much a gift as one could hope for.

Mary, thank you for reminding me that if activism worked once, it can work in the future. Just tonight you reminded us that even if the fix is in, everything can be fixed again. Even if the cohort are at times depressing, they are also still learning. We lean on each other. Thank you for your strength.

Fuzzy, I had a chance to taste your home brew today and your coffee stout is excellent. I’m looking forward to my climber’s pass at upper limits and getting a chance to really get into climbing this year. It will be fun to get to know both you and Meg better. Your coffee gift was enjoyed by many over the past few days – a little warmth goes a long way when you roast it right.

Beth, I played with your Lego housewarming gift (a Lego home) all morning while everyone else slept in, I had it spilled all over the kitchen floor, and then this evening Jes broke it up and used what you bought us in combination with all my other space Lego to build a house on the moon. Sisters know their brothers well.

Erica and Justin. You’ve asked me to perform your marriage ceremony. Thank you for the chance to tell you that that it would be an honor to participate in any way in the celebration of your choice to be together. Thank you also for providing the reason for me to get ordained by either the Ethical Society or the Church of the Universal Light.

Jason and Tif, this year I had the honor of writing and standing up in your wedding. What more could a person ask for than to be so trusted. Thank you for your faith and friendship.

Kat, your two meal chili was great for dinner and breakfast. Thank you so much for providing it for all of us. Thank you also for your example of commitment to causes that matter. I’ve learned a great deal from your example in the past year and value every opportunity for service that you’ve provided for me.

BJ, thank you for the poker chips and for years of friendship un-recount able (and in some cases unrecoverable) in a single night of drinking. You are my best man. When you stand up other people sit down and it’s more because of who you are than how you are.

Flippy, thank you for trying to make sense of this insane life. Thank you for making the choices that will keep you living it. We didn’t watch Wonder Boys today and have thus broken our short lived tradition – the spells end when we find what’s true. How many best men does one guy get?

Chris and Vanessa, thank you for manning the chocolate flinger, ubiquitous vegetables and now fruit, your “what else were we going to do” commitment to every funster whim car repair and move are where the rubber hits the road in friendship. Also thank you for your part in introducing me to Jes – had you two not met we never would have and her presence in my life is the best gift of the year.

Jen and Derek thank you for coming and marking this moment with us. Families mark time together and you are both most assuredly in my immediate family. Thank you also for the changer, a truly Hereclitian gift.

Thank you Jes for seeing something in me worth getting to know better and thank you to your family for shaping the strong, intelligent, beautiful woman that you are. Thank you universe for whatever the hell kind of thing “spark” is because we’ve got it in spades.

Thank you everyone for bringing food and drinks and good humor into our lives. I saw It’s a Wonderful Life for sale tonight on DVD at prices you would expect for a new release. Capra’s masterpiece says as well as it can be said that no man is a failure who has friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home