|

Saturday, December 09, 2006

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? We were never much for the Nog in my family. I’ve tried it a few times but would rather have the Chocolate, or better yet a Manhattan.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Some get wrapped, but I like that –stuff it in a bag and put crinkly paper on top – thing that people have started doing. It’s much easier.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? For reasons that are unclear to me I prefer white lights that do tricks. My lights have a little control panel with sixteen flashing options. I like slow glow on, slow glow off the best.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope. My parents tried to one year and things got messy.

5. When do you put your decorations up? I started tinkering around Thanksgiving, but we’re so cramped for space I think we’re relying on the in-laws this year for our aesthetic cravings.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My mom makes a pork meat pie with a flaky crust that is the bee’s knees.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: The last Christmas before my oldest brother went into the Navy. There was a huge stack of gifts for everyone under the tree, but most importantly we were all there. We went to church for the midnight Silent Night candle service. I fell asleep and they carried me home.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? He was marketed to me from an early age on our black and white TV, mostly through Bing Crosby specials. My mom was always there to throw a counter punch for Jesus.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Ah, yeah, all of them.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Go cut the largest tree that will fit in the space, put the bare side in the corner, lights, ornaments, sometimes with a topper. One year I put little drink umbrellas everywhere and had a tiki head on top.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I have a wintry disposition and prefer cold to heat. White and cold is prettier than grey and cold.

12. Can you ice skate? I used to be better. My center of gravity has shifted forward and down, so it’s harder on my ankles. I might go this year if I can get summer girl to try it.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Lego was always a big hit as a child. As an adult my father saw me looking at a desktop bookcase in a junk shop. He went back and bought it, painstakingly refinished it, and it currently holds my poetry collection on top of my dresser. Thanks dad.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending time with family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Hmm – pumpkin pie. I like Russian tea cakes – oh!!!!!! Butter horns – they’re a family thing – a heavy pastry shaped like a croissant and covered in vanilla icing. I’ll make some this year.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I have a soft spot for the Christmas Eve service. I like stockings on fireplaces. I watch It’s a Wonderful Life. Cheese.

17. What tops your tree? Different from year to year – stars preferred.

18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving? We do this thing in my family where we get most of our gifts at junk shops and then we tell each other how little we paid for them – thus everyone gets lots of nice stuff and no one breaks the bank. I like that – the giving I mean.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Let it snow – Jazz version – Dean Martin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home