|

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

My Cichlids are having babies. I didn’t even know I had a matched set and now the larger one is in full guard and protect mode hovering over a piece of petrified wood, which (after years as an interesting object in a junk drawer) has gone from being pleasant tank décor, to nest central for a few hundred eggs. The caveat that these are the easiest fish to breed is apparently true as I was not even trying – one tries by putting nest like things in the tank and turning the heat up. Sultry fish tanks apparently get Cichlids in the mood. It must remind them, genetically of course, of their South American riverbeds on a hot spring day. I’m not sure of the lifecycle, but if they are born on Sunday then my fry and I will all be the same kind of Gemini (minus the hemisphere flip and species diversion).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home