|

Friday, January 07, 2005

Well folks, it does seem to look as though I will soon be teaching English for the public schools of St. Louis. The interview went well – there are all sorts of new regulations in place so they are thinking they’ll start me as a sub and move me to full time over the next few weeks. I have orientation next week. It would help me to start a certification program at UMSL which starts on Monday – you can always miss the first day while you get your financial aid sorted out right? Otherwise I sign a letter of intent and start classes in the summer. So Back to work and possibly back to school, a productive day I would say.

I got a parking ticket, but since the office I was at is on north eleventh, a parking ticket is minor. The street is as follows – 1. City schools building 2. United Way 3. The projects.

I met Yolanda who tried to interest me in a pyramid scheme for a Tahitian health drink. “I’ll give you a sample and you’ll sleep like a baby.” She did much more than that. She told me there are four types of people in the world: sharks who take, whales who give, dolphins who always got to get their groove on, and urchins who are like her friend Mary, “ok, tell me more, tell me more, what’s the next thing?” She said, “I’m a whale, but I got you pegged for a dolphin, which is why I smiled when I said that one.” Yolanda’s got herself a Tahitian paradigm, right here in river city.

I sat down to fill out the first round of forms and the secretary had told me they were only hiring substitutes. Yolanda leaned over and said, “I heard you tell that women you already got your masters degree.”

“Yes, in English from Truman State. I taught there for a number or years as well.”

“She ain’t telling you the truth, here’s who you need to talk to – they’ll hire you. I’m blessed today and it’s my turn to bless you.”

At last I have salary out of my head, impractical as that may seem. The most important thing is that I get back into a classroom and start giving and receiving again, so I’m not stuck here in my own head chewing on lost love, lost youth, lost keys, lost time, loss, whatever. I still have the book contract with Jo. I corresponded with Lynn today on progress. My rough draft on the first two pieces is due next weekend. If I am able to make a go in the resale business as a hobby then I can figure on boosting my base wage from teaching to the neighborhood a living wage (assuming I downsize my lifestyle).

So, following the blessing of Yolanda’s advice, I am on my way kids and I might even swing by her pyramid meeting on Sunday to explore the new truth of Tahitian thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home