|

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

What are your three most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?

I feel I have a natural talent in the classroom and a sense of vocation in the profession. I want to continue to inspire students to broaden their horizons as my own teachers inspired me. As a lifelong learner one of the best ways to challenge myself is to challenge others.

How much do you want to know about your students in order to be helpful to them?

The classroom is a space suitable both for instruction and for dialogue. I assume that my students will continue to teach me through their fresh insights into the material we engage together. Neither student nor teacher enters the classroom divorced from their circumstances outside of the institution. As such I recognize that to be an educator is to be invested in all aspects of the student’s lives that they are willing and able to share as is appropriate both within and beyond the classroom.

(300 character limit) The classroom is a space suitable both for instruction and for dialogue. I recognize that to be an educator is to be invested in all aspects of the student’s lives that they are willing and able to share as is appropriate both within and beyond the classroom.

What three (3) things do you most want to know about your students?

I want to know what their expectations are for my classes and from themselves. I want to know their unique reactions to the material we engage. I want to know where I can help them strengthen their skills and self-confidence.

What do you need to know in order to begin your lesson planning for a class?

I need to know the general age and ability level of my students and the outcome expected for them by the institution.

What four (4) key components do you believe you must include in your plan?

My plan would include appropriate pacing and difficulty of assignments, a preparation of materials that allowed for breadth and depth of exposure, a clear statement of student responsibilities as regards grading, and some flexibility to adjust the course to student enthusiasms.

When you think about your students, in what major ways do you most want to influence their lives?

As students gain the ability to critically engage the world they necessarily expand their horizons of possibility in every direction. At the very least I hope to impart skills, while my greatest hope is to inspire and empower students to transform their lives.

List and describe two (2) core teaching strategies you most utilized in your classroom.

I rely on verbally questioning assumptions, encouraging the development of a classroom community where it is safe to voice opinions and to debate ideas. I utilize targeted readings and in class writing to develop the skills of argumentation and expression.

Summarize special job-related skills and qualifications acquired from employment or other experiences (including U.S. military service) and/or state any additional information you feel may be helpful in considering your application (i.e. honors, awards, activities, technology skills or professional development activities):

Summarize special job-related skills and qualifications acquired from employment or other experiences (including U.S. military service) and/or state any additional information you feel may be helpful in considering your application (i.e. honors, awards, activities, technology skills or professional development activities): limit 2000 characters

My undergraduate double major in English and Philosophy received from Missouri’s premier Liberal Arts University has served me well as an educator, providing me with both a breadth and depth of knowledge in the humanities. During my tenure as an English Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (GTRA) I taught four sections of college composition over two years.

Following the completion of my Master’s degree I was awarded the Huenemann Fellowship at Truman State University, a competitive award given to an outstanding recent graduate. I taught four classes per term in diverse subject areas including Modern British Literature, World Literature, and various Composition courses, providing me with intensive experience in course design and implementation.

During my graduate and undergraduate studies I worked several summers as a teacher’s assistant for The Joseph Baldwin Academy, which was a college immersion program for gifted youth Thus far my primary teaching experience has been with college age students, but my teaching career and sense of vocation began in this summer program working with middle school students.

I do not currently possess a teaching certification, but I am willing to pursue one and can assure you of rapid progress in that regard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home