|

Monday, April 25, 2005

Well, I got up today and biked around the park again. I had taken the weekend off this little exercise binge due to the cold and rain. Today it was almost like I was back at square one. Ok, maybe square two. Beth, you missed The Brothers Green on Saturday night, they played on the hill. This is a Kirksville band composed of several of my former students. They have a new CD out and Bob is doing the liner notes. Unfortunately I missed them as well due to broke-ness and going to sleep at ten.

Sunday I went to brunch with Erica at the beloved Kopperman’s in the West End, we caught a matinee of The Interpreter at The Moolah Theater, which was fine if a little bland. It had a television quality akin to Law and Order with Sean Penn and Nicole appearing as special guest stars in the land of Sydney Pollack. There were some creditability problems with sexual tension and police procedures that may have your suspension squirming in your disbelief. But your parents will like it. You can tell them it’s the thriller in vanilla. Your mother will say that she thought it was interesting and your father will shrug. No one will feel exactly ripped off for the ticket price cause the stars are nice and six years from now you might watch the second half again, lounging some Saturday on the couch.

I’d like to ask deeper questions about why this movie appeared now. It's a swan song for educated political idealism. There is a core message about the value of diplomacy that is a clear dig at the “shoot now ask questions later” lunacy of current administration. Sydney is planting soft pitch seeds in his audience that may someday cause them to question their estimation of the UN. I guess you’d call it a psychological thriller that explores justice in the context of grief, so it could be Sydney’s response to 911. There are, however, very few thrills as the action is fairly predictable.



After the Matinee I watched Gone in Sixty Seconds, about which nothing good can be said. I am just moving through the two for a dollar section at the local grocery store.

Then I went over to Angela’s and cooked a Tai dinner consisting of chicken satay and curried vegetables in coconut milk over jasmine rice. Kat joined us for the meal and we watched a little bad TV (Die Hard) and that was my weekend’s end.

Yesterday I had a really good feeling about today. But today I am not sure why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home