|

Friday, October 22, 2004

Feeling a little lost today. Right now anyway. Losing a job, even if it’s the right thing to lose the wrong job, takes an emotional toll. The funny way to look at it is that I am in the process of breaking up with about one hundred and fifty people. I had to write my own obit for the weekly announcements.

“The Healing Arts Center would like to wish a fond farewell to Karl ------. Karl began working in the bookstore in October of 2001 and has remained with the center in various administrative and logistical capacities over the past three years. He is leaving now to pursue a professional writing opportunity.”

Jen, “That’s boring. Can’t you spice it up a bit?”

Karl, “Nope”

I prefer public lies to have a more flat quality. I feel less involved in the perpetuation of falsehoods if they lack dynamism. There is a grain of truth there, and perhaps it will grow into an actual job offer. Though it would be nice to just bartend for awhile – you know, a no-brainer.

We also do a “thought for the week” in the announcements. I gave myself:

"Just don't give up on trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996)

As sendoff it is sort of a Jazzy “Elvis has left the building”.

I was talking to someone about connections in the LCMS, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, where I could get any number of jobs on my family name cred. Here at the HAC I wear a paper Mache’ mask. As a pseudo Taoist I can float with the new age shtick. I would need a mask carved from mahogany to make it in the land of family values.

I know what I need to do. The GRE book that MB bought me came today. Tonight we’re grocery shopping and I’ll begin resume restructuring. Jen sent me a skill based resume to look at, the hot new thing in resume land.

I was considering a rummage sale for tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain. My nephew Henry is most likely now in the world, I haven’t gotten the call yet. Sandy has asked that we not come until tomorrow so that Abigail is not overwhelmed by the attention given to the new baby. This first day will be just for them as a family. I just recently developed a roll of film from Abigail’s first Christmas. It’s shots of 2001 with my family and my ex Ruthann.

Boom – just got the call – 1:20 seven pounds one once. I wonder what color his eyes are? Juts the facts so far, healthy-breathing-nursing already baby. Must do the phone tree. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home