|

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My little out of the way homework hiding spot has just gotten a boost. I do most of my on campus work in either the south campus library or the north campus math lab. I use the math lab because no one is ever in the math lab. I’ve heard that many people hate math and experience phobias at the mere mention of terms like balance and checkbook. I don’t mind math and am well familiar with the practical applications of both zero and negative numbers. Jes thinks that we should be wealthy so that we can afford better cheese, so independent wealth is a long term goal.

In the short term I am going to have to do creative math to survive until my next loan checks arrive in January. I will finally be embarking on an Ebay adventure (I know you’ve been waiting for that Michelle). Jes sold stuff on Ebay for Creve Coeur Camera for a year and has given me some cool pointers on how to sell well in the on-line marketplace. I’ll let you know when stuff is up, because there is nothing quite as rewarding as pawning your crap off on friends at inflated web auction prices.

Anyway, my math lab just had a grand reopening last Friday, unfortunately every UMSL student got an email about it and there were door prizes, snacks and celebrity endorsements. It’s now the Monday after the fanfare. I missed the fanfare. The lab proctors have these new space age silver desks that make them look… like students sitting behind perforated sheet metal (which is what they are). Now my secret is out and the good days of open work space and three free high speed laser printers are over.

There is still no one here. That’s not true. There are thirteen students, three lab assistants, and a custodian. That might seem like a lot of people but when you consider that there are 111 computer stations, even if the custodian were to stop and check his email that would still leave ninety four open computers. Each computer has a flag attached to it and if you need help you just raise the flag. The flags look like they belong on the back of bicycles or in the cups at a miniature golf course. I tell you for no reason other then a desire on my part to shoot some misenscene out into the void. I want to raise a flag, but I don’t ever have any math homework so I shall remain without the experience.

It was good to get out of town and see the new homes of Jason/Tiffany and Caroline/Paul. Beth will post pictures soon of both digs. It was also Erica’s birthday this past weekend and she and Justin got engaged. The tale of the engagement requires alcohol so I won’t be posting about it any time soon (I’m never sure when you are drinking dear reader). This past weekend turned out to be my breather weekend as I still have ten thousand small tasks to complete before the end of the term.

Speaking of which, I should get to work reviewing for the coming class. I have to do a ratiocination today on a paper I wrote last week. Look that word up if you are in the market for revision time wasters. I had to get colored pencils to do this color coded edit. I KNOW, I KNOW – KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE ABOUT ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE (especially things that you think are bullshit)!

Anyway, thanks for dropping by. Hope you’re well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home