|

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

This blog comes with a title: TEXICO

We have a new radio station here in St. Louis 104.1 The Red – all big band/jazz/swing music all the time – “music with class on the new red” , so I’m on my way home for lunch and to let the dog out – daily ritual – and Bobby Darin is on the Two Martini lunch show singing “Everybody gets to be wrong some time.” I am occasionally very wrong. In an earlier blog I mentioned briefly my gassy car – with no explanation. This is the tip of an iceberg, a blue iceberg, blue ice (blue ice references a Michael Cain movie – it’s a metaphor for the unexpected things that can fall into your life – woman walking down the street – plane overhead – toilet flushed one too many times – big hunk of blue ice breaks off the crapper and drops on unsuspecting woman – blue ice”
I own a 1967 Chev school bus, I bought it from a drag racer who installed in this bus a 1980 Cadillac 500 cubic inch engine and the associated tow package to pull his race car, The Night Stalker. The bus is aptly named The Night Stalker Express. The Bus has spent the last two years languishing in a friends field in kville. Two weeks ago I tried to start it. We got the engine to turn over but there wasn’t any fuel getting through. I borrowed a large gas can that was in my estimation too large for the trunk – went to town – filled it up and on the drive back to the farm knocked it over. Hence my gassy car – the drive back to St. Louis was noxious – it’s been gradually getting better through the cunning use of home remedies – all of which I’ve tried and all of which are ridiculous. First was the Bissel steam cleaner – no – the gas was too much for bissel. Then baking soda – helpful foaming action crusting to yellow sludge. Next two attempts at kitty litter on the floor – 20 pounds each application – helpful. One bucket of coal left in vehicle for several days to suck up odors – have no idea if that worked but through coals out as bbq and gasoline are not flavor simpatico. Kitty litter in front seat turned to mud due to high traffic of Karl’s snowy shoes (I just threw out the floor mat). I took out the back seat and have left it under my back porch to air out (you can take the boy out of the country, but…). And here at the end, some two weeks later, with the windows left open whenever possible, the seat itself not yet reinstalled (Ooh I left out the full bottle of Resolve and the Gallon of vinegar (which briefly covered the gas smell with an equally odorific vinegar smell after I sprayed it onto all the fabric(several applications)) the last vestiges of the odor have succumbed to the power of Febreeze. Febreeze I will never doubt you again!!!!!!! How’s that for a commercial plug. Now as to the bus, how I got it, and what I am going to do with it, that’s another blog, but you see who you’re dealing with here – a man destined to fight the forces of entropy which craftily are using my own stupidity against me to further the field of combat.

A moment in my wake in which I do not get to share as it might not ever take place: The guy who empties the vaccum cleaner at the car wash speculates on why there are 40 pounds of gas soaked kitty litter in his machine.....hehehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home